HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Bitterness
Thread: Bitterness
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2011, 08:11 AM
WV Hunter
Nontypical Buck

Good post peta.

I think with some forms of hunting...especially bowhunting (and even moreso with a diehard bowhunter), the elitism begins to creep in - even though we don't want it to, or maybe even know it does. I know I've felt it before...exactly what the OP is talking about. I let a buck walk, it goes over the ridge and dies. I've given up trying to control that happening, and shoot what makes me happy. I usually shoot a few does, and look for a nice (for my area) buck.

The other thing I found....especially when being involved in internet forums and maybe even contests - its tough to measure up with some of the deer our peers get. Lets face it, alot of folks live in big buck meca. Some folks scowl at a 120" buck, but in my area....one like that would make the paper for sure. In other areas, that is a routine 2yo...so it would be like me passing a 4 or 6 pt basket rack.

Anymore, I hunt for me...and don't worry too much about any of it. Its just a deer. I know what I can expect where I hunt, and try to make the best of it. I've also enjoyed watching the kids I hunt with get their deer, and grow up each year into better and better hunters. That has been alot of fun. Seeing an 8 or 9yo get a spike buck....doesn't get any better than that.