HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Purposefully hunting fawns?
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2011, 04:52 AM
prairienights
Spike

Thank you so much for the opinions, everyone

And yes, about the trophy buck, *I* personally do not care. I actually had a fairly decent opportunity to shoot at a large 4-pt buck (he didn't have many points, but his antlers were wiiiide, and he was a chunk himself), but I chose not to. Partly because I wasn't 100% confident in the shot, but also, I looked at that big ol' deer and couldn't imagine being able to use the meat. I couldn't care less if it has antlers or not. I'm sure I would have had the same reaction if I had been staring at a massive trophy buck. I am hunting purely for the experience and for the meat. I had a blast during the whole process, and I knew exactly how much meat I needed. For me to shoot a trophy buck would almost be nonsensical because I wasn't at all after a trophy and I'd be so afraid the meat would go to waste.

As for shooting somebody else's trophy, I can absolutely understand that concern. While a trophy wasn't high on my list, I know it is for others. I told my "guide" (actually my best friend's husband) that if we got a good shot at a trophy buck, I'd absolutely want him to take it instead of me even if that was my only chance at a deer all season. My fawn was definitely a doe fawn, so I wasn't robbing the area of a potential buck anyways. She could have been a button buck, but I still don't think I would have felt too terrible about it. In our area, the deer population is pretty crazy. It was an easy winter last year, a long summer and warm fall, and as a result, there are zillions of fawns. This year's crop of fawns could stand to lose one, even if it had been a button buck. And it was all absolutely legal.

I guess I'm especially interested in the fawn or no fawn debate because I believe I will go after a fawn again. Taking fawns just makes the most sense for my situation. But if there's a moral/ethical aspect that I'm overlooking or a glitch in the game management plan of taking fawns, I'd be more than happy to reevaluate

Just a side note...I have a delicious fawn roast that will be slow cooking today in onions, potatoes, carrots, garlic and even an apple slice for some extra flavor. Can't wait for dinner tonight!