HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Why so Inaccruate?
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2011, 03:38 AM
homers brother
Nontypical Buck

I can't begin to recall how many times I've listened to guys cuss their optics at the range. True, it's asking a bit to take on a target at 300 yards with a garden-variety 3-9x, but I will offer that replacing optics without isolating out other potential causes puts you in great risk of perpetually being "one of those guys"

1. The Remington semi-auto and pump have never been known for long-range accuracy. They often shoot more like ... ever notice the similarities between their receivers and those of the 870 and 1100? Always exceptions.

2. But that's not a big deal close-in in the deer woods where these things seem to shine. Unfortunately, most of them I've seen have those two-piece, see-thru mounts. No two-piece base ever came close to a one-piece, solid base when it comes to accuracy, what with twice as many pieces able to move.

3. The shooter always plays a role. In situations like these where you're trying to diagnose where the problem lies, the shooter's errors can be isolated out by properly sandbagging front and rear (or using a benchrest - bipods don't guarantee a solid platform) and ensuring that the "8 steady hold factors" are consistently applied.

And enter the "onsies-twosies". The inherent potential for inaccuracy of the rifle, added to the potential for inaccuracy caused by the scope mounting system, added to any number of potential shooter-induced problems, and it's quite conceivable you'd obtain the groups that you are.

Go back to the range and sandbag that rifle. Torque all of your scope mount screws to spec with an actual (in/lbs) torque wrench. Drill the 8 steady hold factors into your shooting, and then see what you come up with.

Last edited by homers brother; 11-28-2011 at 03:44 AM.