HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Loud groan after shot....
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2011, 04:38 PM
Buckhunter46755
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by gator59
"295grain hollow point powerbelt"

not that the bullet would stop the groan. But do yourself a favor and quit using PowerBelts. In my experience 90% of the time they will not pass through. So the lack of blood is an issue. Sure there is blood at the point of impact but a blood trail is just not there.

Many will disagree with me. But trust me I have been at this long enough and have had to trail many deer with my dogs and for the most part PowerBelts are the main culprit. Not only powerbelts all ballistic tip bullets.

I don't use PowerBelts because I've heard too many problems with them breaking up or not passing through. But by no means do I think all ballistic tips are bad. I switched to a 280gr semi-jacketed hollow point in my Omega .50 and I really like how they perform at the closer ranges I hunt (100yds and under). Plus they are about 1/2 the price of everything else in a sabot. I think they are Thompson Center. I know they come with Mag Express sabot (black) they also load easy enough in that particular rifle. I've had good luck with TC ShockWaves and the Hornady SST's which I believe are the same bullet, not sure though.