HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - USEFUL? iPhone applications for hunters
View Single Post
Old 11-22-2011, 07:35 AM
Nomercy448
Nontypical Buck

One of the most convenient apps i've used for my phone, which I believe is pretty much available for any "standard platform" phone (blackberry, droid, iphone) is googlemaps.

I use www.google.com/maps to construct maps of my hunting areas. I can then print paper maps (computer drawn topos over road map on one side, the same landmarks and roads overlaid on the satellite image on the other side), as well as access the map itself through the mobile app.

I can overlay game trails, stand locations, bedding areas, den sites, property lines, roads, parking locations, feeding areas, food plots, feeder locations, watering holes, rivers, draws, trail camera locations, rub lines, etc etc etc. I can even embed photo albums taken by my game camera, or photos I've taken while scouting.

Again, the computer based app lets me print off my own topos and satellite view maps, my phone helps me generate topos by having a GPS and altitude function, and all of it is accessible during my hunt.

And google/maps is free...

As far as other hunting apps goes, two buddies of mine (that don't know eachother, guys in different states) that I call coyotes with downloaded coyote call apps for their droids. One uses a self-amplified speaker, the other just uses the phone speaker, but both have said that "it's the best sounding E-Caller they've used" (in place of their $400-500 factory models). I've been calling with them using the droids, and frankly, it DOES work. I personally would recommend the self-powered speakers to increase the range, and not blow out my phone speaker, but the phone actually does very well too.