HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - When is it time to find a new property?
View Single Post
Old 11-22-2011, 05:19 AM
Drakeman
Spike

Thanks for the comments. Let me clarify a few things. Our basic rule for QDM is that if you are not going to put it on your wall don't shoot it, take a doe. That being said, some of the guys are happy with the 8 pts, even though I think they should let them go. I have only harvested does since I've been on the property.

We have 6 guys to almost 400 acres, but 75 % of that is ag fields, cow pasture. And the other challenge is that the ag fields are in the middle of the property. So some place are only hedgerows to hunt. It seems that most of the sightings are in summer/early season, which tells me it's a combination of lack of pressure and the fact they are feeding heavy that time of year. Also, we do have issues with the neighboring properties, including poaching. Someone was nice enough to take the head of a mature buck and leave the rest behind a couple weeks ago.

This season I picked up a new member who lives near the property, he had a few days out where he didn't see anything. So he went to his old property and took a nice 8 pt. He said there is way more action on his old property.

So that is what really left me thinking about what I'm doing here.