HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - When is it time to find a new property?
View Single Post
Old 11-21-2011, 06:47 PM
Horacio
Fork Horn

How many hunters for how many acres? What borders your land? There are alot of unanswered questions in your post to be sure but if you are harvesting 8 pt bucks and catching 10-12 pt bucks on camera....well....I'd say there's nothing wrong with the land, just your expectations.

A point here too, in response to Blackhawk. I agree partially with your assertation that hunting is more about putting meat in the freezer but there are broad and varied goals and motivations to hunt and everyone is entitled to their own. For myself, I'm in the the "you better damn well eat it if you shoot it" camp and that lines up with the notion that taking out the mature old bucks means younger/vigorous bucks can pick up the slack.

In other words, I'm hunting the whole animal, antlers, backstrap, hams, and all. Holy smokes, that ol goat I took last year was tough, however so I certainly see your point.

To the thread starter, though, if you have more than a postage stamp size piece of land, its on you and your partners to manage the population to produce deer. Certainly, if you're hemmed in on all sides by anything goes/trigger happy neighbors, well, that could be a problem. That said, 8 years is plenty of time to do some selective harvesting and grow your deer.

Anecdotally, I've had many of my family members/fellow ranch owners swear our place 'sucks' for hunting. Its too rocky and difficult to get around. There's too much pressure from the rock quarry, too close to town, etc, etc. We've always had a big lease out of town with our family business. Well, I enjoy being out there as it is, seeing a few deer here and there and all but hanging over my TV right now is an 8 pt beast with a 6" dagger drop. I'm hoping my wife can take her first deer in the morning from the same place, a buck who's clearly his son and honestly a fair bit bigger, sans dropper.

TLR version: if you're seeing deer and consitantly putting meat on the table, look first to your methods of selection and harvest quantities before blaming the real estate.