HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Letting Young Kids Kill Deer: Is It Right?
Old 11-21-2011, 11:15 AM
vapahunter
Typical Buck

Here it is for me. I see a lot of pictures of 7-8-9 year olds who have supposedly killed a deer. There "gun" is a 12 gauge shotgun sitting right next to them. First of all did the child actually take and pass a written hunter's safety course or were they given an exemption for their age? Second have you ever seen a child of that age shot a 12 gauge shotgun by themselves and not be either picked up off the ground or so sore that they can not move their arms. I have a very hard time believing those that I see. Like many I had to wait until I was 12 years old to hunt. My father had given me the family 30-30 to use BUT he took me out before hand and made sure I was able to handle it and hit what I shot at. On time he gave me his double barrel 12 gauge and let me shoot it. After the first shot and picking myself off the ground I gave it back too him. He said I would knwo when I was ready to handle that 12 gauge. Took till I was 15 but I knew then what it would do.

I agree with taking young children out with you but I still have trouble with youngsters that age being able to handle shotguns or high powered rigles with the wisdom to use them properly.

Last edited by vapahunter; 11-21-2011 at 11:18 AM.