HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 308 for 'yotes. What bullet you useing?
View Single Post
Old 11-21-2011, 07:23 AM
Nomercy448
Nontypical Buck

Personally, I'm a fur hunter, so any time I hunt, I'm balancing harvesting game with harvesting pelts, so my bullet choice might be a little different than yours, since you're not worried about pelt damage.

Frankly, I gotta agree with Sheridan here, whatever you throw out of a .308win will do the job. I've used .308win and .30-06 for coyotes for a long time, with everything from A-max's and Winchester Ballistic Silvertips up to Hornady Interbonds and A-Frames (opportunity kills while deer and elk hunting).

I actually tend to PREFER a more solid construction bullet, the harder the better, when I'm talking about 30cals for coyotes. It doesn't take much expansion to do a LOT of damage, so I'd be much more prone to suggest a Matchking than I would a V-max. Stick it where it needs to go and you're gravy. A good deer hunting bullet, like a Hornady SST (if you can get them to shoot well in your rifle) should suit you just fine.

At the other end of the spectrum, A-max's, V-max's, Ballistic tips, or HPBT's will do fine as well. But they'll likely blow a hole the size of a softball out the back side. "Explosive expansion bullets" will be more apt to DRT a dog, but they're also a bloody mess.

Last edited by Nomercy448; 11-21-2011 at 07:26 AM.