HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Scent Control and Camo, Your Thoughts...
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2011, 07:56 PM
Breechplug
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
My thoughts.

For years and years I wore plaid wool. Everybody did in the 50's. Only lately did I discover it works as good as camo. I think what's important is to get all the brighteners out of your clothing so you don't look like a light bulb to game. It also needs to be very quiet clothing if you still hunt. Wind and waterproof is nice too. Light clothing that can be layered is also a plus. New materials like Gore-Tex is hard to beat.

What it comes down to is the hunting camo clothing has all these features, and non of the disadvantages of the old wool clothing. Like the bulk and weight of wool, and how heavy it gets when wet.

For these reasons i've gone to camo clothing to get the features of modern materials. I find fleece very comfortable and quiet. I use clothing that has two layers of fleece with Gore-Tex in the middle. The camo pattern doesn't bother me anymore, Anything that will break up the human shape works.

As for scent control? I don't go to extremes, but I do it somewhat. If i'm downwind I expect to get busted. My bad. I use some scent control in case the wind swirls or changes direction on me. It will give me a few seconds longer to get a shot off while the game tries to figure out what I am.
Yes Fleese is Great, Quiet and if it gets wet for some reason it does'nt soak through and it Drys Fast. Gore Tex, yep I have it in everything I wear from Boots to Clothes to Hats and Caps. But it is Noisy in clothing.
Now when I Bow Hunt I do go further with the Scent Free stuff because shots are Close and that extra few seconds does help sometimes, but after the Season has gone on for awhile the Deer are onto you and you dont get them extra few seconds. During Gun Season if a Deer is Downwind of You and Smells you and you dont shoot it beor it leaves then it's Probably too far to shoot anyway.
But all in all the Wind and Movement are the 2 Main Factors in a Deers Survival, and of Course the Missed Shot and Ocassional Tree