HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 2 Blade Rage not deploying blades...
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2011, 05:39 PM
Todd1700
Nontypical Buck

Someone explain to me the purpose of mechanicals.
If you are serious I will explain their advantages.

1. They fly like field tips. And that is an all together different thing than just getting your fixed heads to group with your field tips. Flying "LIKE" a field tip means that they do not affect the flight of the arrow or fight the vanes for control of the arrow under any circumstances. Bad form, slight torque of the bow, windy day, etc, etc. This makes them more accurate. Not saying for a minute that you cannot shoot a fixed head accurately. I use and kill deer with fixed heads too. I can shoot with near perfect form in my front yard consistently. But 25 foot up a tree in thick clothing on a windy day when the temps are in the 30's and I need to kneel down to shoot under a limb, that can throw perfect form off a bit. Fixed blade broadheads are problem amplifiers. If you are only shooting out to 20 yards then you have little to worry about. But if you take longer shots there is no doubt for those truly anal about accuracy that mech heads are more accurate.

2. Bigger holes. If you have the power then why not make a bigger hole? If your bow is driving a 1 1/8 inch diameter head 6 inches into the dirt on the other side of deer then why waste that energy making deep holes in the ground. Why not put a 2 inch wide hole through them and settle for your arrow only being buried 3 inches in the ground. After all there are no bonus points I am aware of for deeper ground penetration. And when it comes to bigger cutting diameter mech heads are king. Could you find a large diameter 3 blade fixed head intended for use in compound bows? Maybe. I'm honestly not sure anymore. They used to make some big over-sized 3 blade fixed heads way back when compounds were maxing out at speeds in the 230 fps range. Now that that number is up near and sometimes over 300 fps those big heads seem to have gone the way of the Dodo. And with good reason. I'm sure they would be a pain to tune for good arrow flight at 280 to 300 fps. They would also greatly exacerbate even the tiniest glitch in form by an order of magnitude over standard fixed heads. Mech heads can offer you a big cutting diameter and field point accuracy at the same time. Also all other things being equal, bigger heads mean more tissue cut, greater likelihood of nicking veins/arteries and a big hole less likely to become clogged with fat, hair, etc,. And in most cases that should yield a better blood trail. I've shot deer perfectly with 3 and 4 blade Muzzys and didn't find a thimble full of blood between my arrow and where the deer lay dead. When I put a Grim Reaper expandable through a deer I can follow the blood trail at a fast trot.

They are not for everyone. If your bow doesn't have the power to get pass throughs with mechs then don't use them. If you are just using them as a way around tuning your bow then I call foul on that as well. But if you tune your bow like I do and you have the power they are great.

Last edited by Todd1700; 11-17-2011 at 05:52 PM.