HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Wi new fire arm take effect 11/19
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2011, 06:27 AM
mr.mc54
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by JW!
Sounds like you had the same teacher I did and that was our parents and grandparents on how to handle firearms safely. But would you do away with the Hunter Ed requirement?

I agree the Case law was a pain at times - but I am so used to it and it protects my firearms from damage that I will continue to use them.
But with the relaxed vehicle rule - you watch - some person will rest his loaded weapon against the car - it will fall causing someone to get hurt!

JW
JW, I do not want the hunters safety to go away! HS is absolutely neccessary, because many don't have the training my dad instilled in me and it sounds like yours did also. I just have a problem with the DNR and their iron fisted approach to hunters. I talked to many hunters and most find the DNR regs. to be complicated at best. Most hunters didn't disobey the laws on purpose, they most likely didn't have the training the new generation is getting through Hunters Safety. The DNR could have used a teaching moment, rather than slamming them with a ticket. I know there may be an accident, but there will be accidents because of the risk, nature of our sport and when hunters are in the woods anyway. We can make all the laws in the world and there still will be some accidents.

So, again, Hunters safety is neccessary and teaches the best way's to be safe, but sometimes a teaching moment is much better than issueing a ticket. Common sense goes a long ways in helping our beloved sport to continue for future generations to come.