HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - How Far After Penetration?
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2011, 04:55 AM
UncleNorby
Nontypical Buck

No way to tell. Safe to say that when the bullet exited the deer it had enough energy to do something serious harm.

If you shot from a treestand, and the ground did not slope away drastically beyond the deer, the bullet probably did not go too far.

Many years ago I shot a doe in an open field with my 54 cal Renegade. I was on the ground and the ground beyond the deer did slope downward slightly. The deer was about 75 yds away, but I thought it was just over 100. I aimed a bit high and shot. The deer dropped instantly, thrashed, then got up and ran out of the field. It left the field at a point that was in line with where I shot and where it dropped. I reloaded and went to that spot and heard deer blowing. It was nearly dark and raining, so I came back the next AM. Back at that spot I looked down in the leaves for blood and there was my 54 cal maxiball just laying there. Had a little fat on it, but not much damage to the bullet at all. It was maybe 150 to 200 yds beyond where I hit the deer. Looked all morning, never found any sign to follow. Searched the area in general, nothing. Thinking about it, I hit the deer right where I aimed, right through the loin above the spine.