HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Team 13 check in thread "Natural Bone Killers"
Old 11-15-2011, 07:09 PM
SlowDraw
Fork Horn

Hope you get a good one in your last few hunting days Canuck! I had a cool hunt last weekend. I took my 8 year old daughter out to sit for a couple hours one evening. She likes to go once or twice a year, and this was our first time out this season. We never saw any deer in the past, so I really just wanted her to see a deer to keep her interest up. Well while walking in we see a small spike and then two does in the distance. We got pretty close to one of the does in some thick stuff before it took off. She thought that was pretty neat. I was happy we at least saw some. We set up in front of a huge oak tree with a little bit of cover around it, but not much, since I was more interested in her seeing a deer than actually getting a shot. It was pretty windy, so we were having trouble even seeing many squirrels. To keep her from getting too board, I let her work the can call every now and then. Around 4pm she made a few calls, and a minute or two later I spot a doe working right at us. I told her not to move and asked if she wanted me to shoot at it if I got a chance. She said yes. It came right in and faced us at twenty yards. I figured she would take off since we were not very well hidden, but after a minute she turned away some. I drew back expecting her to take off, but she didn’t. Unfortunately I was sitting on a stool and she was just far enough to the right that I was not able to comfortably line up my sights. I moved the pins in front of the deer and tried to pivot more to my right. When I went to get back on her I did not take my finger off of the release’s trigger, and you guessed it, I accidently released the arrow right in front of the doe. It probably was best, because I do not know how my daughter would have liked the blood and guts part of the evening if I had made the shot. As it is we had a great time together in the woods. Have fun out there everyone, the long wait for next year will be here before you know it.