HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Spring bear hunting, Mt - nonresident
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2011, 08:08 AM
AK Jeff
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by villreinen
Thanks again Jeff! Really helpful! Im sending a mail to Montana FWP as we speak. Hopefully it's getting solved before the may-hunt!

One more thing, if you dont mind me asking, is it difficult/expensive to rent a rifle in Bozeman? Bare in mind that I'm a foreign on a student-visa so Im not sure what weapon-regulations they got over there.

Originally I was planning bringing my own rifle, but it seems difficult beacause the goverment over there require that I apply before I bring my weapon. And the application demands that I need to have a hunting license bought in USA, which I dont have yet.

Morten
Nobody rents rifles anywhere in the U.S. that I'm aware of. The liability is just too high. I doubt that a firearms dealer would be able to sell to you, but a private seller likely would. Now whether that is legal or not, I'm not sure. Private sales don't go through any real channels so the only way to find out is to ask the proper authorities beforehand. I'm sure the Bozeman police department could answer that for you. You might see if you can buy your Conservation License beforehand and use that to submit your application to bring your own rifle to the country. I'm almost certain that hunter safety isn't prerequisite for buying the Conservation License, but the CL is prerequisite for buying any hunting licenses. Also, if you're staying on campus be sure to find out MSU's policy for possession of firearms. When I went to school there you had to check firearms in with the school and they kept them locked up. I never bothered to bring any of my guns to school for the year that I lived in the dorms because I didn't want the hassle, but you might not have a choice.

Good luck,

Jeff