HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Any opinions on Hornady SST for deer hunting?
Old 11-14-2011, 06:27 PM
builder459
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by HEAD0001
Sabot I am just not sure about this "premium" bullet analysis. And i am not saying you said that. I am just talking here. However I have shot several deer with Barnes MZ bullets over the last dozen or so years. And I have seen the bullet on a couple different occasions simply not open up at all. One hole in, and one hole out. However the deer only went a small distance and expired. The shot was in the right spot. And isn't the Barnes bullet designed to open up fast??

I wish I would have recovered more bullets in my lifetime. So I could speak more eloquently(or at least more knowledgable) about bullet expansion. However I simply have not had any problems when any bullet of any design was put in the right spot.

To the OP. Hornady makes great bullets. I would not have any problem using their product if it shot well in my rifle. Tom.
Tom, Barnes markets 4 bullets designed for M/L use. the expander mz,spit-fire mz,spit-fire tmz and the spit-fire tez.the only bullet that can on occasion fail to open is the spit-fire MZ and the reason is it's designed to be very streamlined with a very small hollow point. the other 3 M/L bullets i mentioned with the larger hollow points are bullet proof (excuse the pun) i suggest staying away from the spit-fire MZ..