HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Modified choke tube and rifled slugs?
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2011, 02:54 PM
4evrhtn
Typical Buck

The following is from Mossberg's website. I added this because I have an 835 and wanted to know if I could shoot slugs out of it. The answer for me is no because I do not have the slug barrel which is recommended for the models 835 and 935 due to an overbored barrel. Just thought this added info might help someone else reading this who also has an 835 or 935 and doesn't want to risk injury or damaging their shotgun.http://www.mossberg.com/content.asp?...tion=resources
Can I shoot slugs or buckshot through a "smoothbore" field barrel with Accu-Choke™ tubes? (500/505/535/9200/88/930 models) Yes, and with sabots or rifled slugs, the more "open" the choke tube, the better the accuracy ("Improved Cylinder" recommended.) The "full" or "modified" choke tubes are preferred for buckshot loads. Slugs, buckshot and steel shot loads are not recommended for use with an extra full "turkey tube" installed, due to the tube's tight constriction. Do not fire any load without a choke tube installed, doing so will damage the internal choke tube threads. <A name=835slugs>Can I fire slugs through my 935™ or 835® vent rib, Accu-Mag® choke tube barrel? No, 935™ and 835® field barrels (those with a ventilated rib) are "overbored," and the extra inside diameter may cause the projectile to "wobble" producing unreliable accuracy. A projectile may wedge inside the barrel causing an obstruction. Obstructions of any kind can cause damage to the firearm resulting in damage to the barrel and/or personal injury to you or those around you. Dedicated fully rifled slug barrels are available for the 935™ and 835® models. Other 935™ and 835® Accu-Mag® choke tube notes: Buckshot and steel-shot loads are not recommended for use with an extra full turkey tube installed.