HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Running Deer
Thread: Running Deer
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2011, 06:29 PM
Phil from Maine
Boone & Crockett

While some states I have heard allow hunting deer with dogs. This state up here does not. A lot of deer used to get killed by dogs running deer. Mostly during the winter months when the snow is deep. But that is not always the case in part because during those cold months deer that have been run along time normally ends up dieing. The cold air and all wieghs to heavey on them even if the dog does not actually catch up to the deer.

With tha being said a lot of folks would just a soon shoot the dog on site if they even thought it was running deer. Here it is illegal to shoot anyones dog period. It is also illegal to allow your dog to run deer. The video you talk about would end up giving you a big fine for allowing your dog to do that. If it was ever seen by a game warden. Dogs hunting birds, coons, rabbitts, bobcats, coyotes, and even bear are allowed to hunt just not any deer or any other animal that is not legal game. Whether for the kill or not. They call it harrassment of game and none game animals. I hunt for grouse with mine and enjoy it and they have a 2 inch day glow collar equiped with a bell. I want to be responcible for my dogs and knowing where they are is important to me. I also keep an e-collar on mine as well to make sure they are hunting only what I want them to...