HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Blackhorn 209 VS Pyrodex RS Pellets in a Knight Disc
Old 11-12-2011, 03:23 PM
donjose
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by cayugad
The first fizzle MIGHT have been caused by the way I prepared the rifle. I swabbed with alcohol to remove any oil in the bore. Maybe I did not get all the oil out of the bore. But I did pop two primers into a dry patch before I loaded. Next time I will be even more careful.

The second fizzle I have no idea. Everything was shooting fine. All the loading was fine. And after the second happened, I did not clean out the rifle because I was sure that the projectile did exit the bore because I heard it. And I blew down the bore with my little gadget and could hear air pass through the breech plug.

Also if you notice the target.. the first three hits before the second fizzle were very tight. The fizzle happened. Then the next two were not quite as tight as the first three. So maybe the fizzle caused the bore to get extra dirty.

Would it hurt to swab the bore with solvent, while shooting Blackhorn 209 if you have concerns of fouling in the bore? The first solvent patch comes out FILTHY!! I noticed when I cleaned for the pellets.
Dave were you swabbing after every shot with the pellets on that tight group you shot?