HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Can you tell me if this is a wound from an arrow/bolt/etc?
Old 11-11-2011, 11:48 AM
leesa
Spike

Originally Posted by ryndisher
Looks like hes standing up. Doesn't seem lame to me.
He was standing on three legs. The fourth leg was dragging. He couldn't move it at all.
Couldn't get down either so not surprising that he looks like he's standing up.

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Could the animal have run into something metal and pointed like a nail on a post, something on a fence post or a small diameter bar in the stall (maybe the latch).
This is the other option we have, yes.
There are a few things that don't seem to fit though.
The wound is 20cm deep and we just don't have anything in the paddocks, fencing included, that's that length and solid to puncture to that depth and then some.
Some have suggested a stick, but it's broken the bone and apparently the humerus is one of the strongest bones in the body?
It doesn't seem logical to me that a thin stick has gone to that depth and then chipped bone.
To me it seems it must have been something more solid than what you'd normally find in a paddock.
Who knows what, but I like to consider all possibilities.

Two days ago a cat was shot through the back with an arrow about an hour's drive from me.
It's not the first time animals have been found shot, so I think we have some sickos in the area unfortunately.

Cheers for the comment!