HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Running Deer
Thread: Running Deer
View Single Post
Old 11-10-2011, 08:48 PM
Sanka1Kato
Spike

Default Running Deer

Sorry if this is old news.

I know a lot about dogs, but essentially nothing about hunting, so excuse my ignorance in that department.

I had a video up of my dog chasing a deer while out on a hike. Somebody commented saying I shouldn't be "running my dog on deer" like that, and that they would shoot my dog if they were there. Which first off, don't shoot anybody's dog. It's not the dog's fault, it's the person. Don't kill the dog for being a dog. That's just heartless.

I realized they were talking about the hunting type. I don't run deer with my dog. I go on hikes and we happen to run into deer which he chases, but once they leap out of site in a matter of seconds, he stops and comes back to me. No problem.

Anyhoo, I started looking more into the running of dogs on deer and found it was a bit controversial. What I just could not understand was why.

What is so wrong with using a dog to flush deer as opposed to the birds or rabbits or coons so widely accepted? Put aside the dogs ruining the hunt for nearby hunters. I'm more interested in why people don't like it for some other reason. Why do they deem it wrong or unethical?