HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Bag ‘o tricks vs NO tricks
View Single Post
Old 11-10-2011, 04:48 PM
rustynobles
Fork Horn

Yeah, I have all of the aforementioned items (piss, scent killer, grunt calls, snort wheezes, bleat cans, etc.). All I have to say is I never killed any really decent sized bucks until I stopped trying so hard and just enjoyed my time in the woods. This year has been very good to me. I put on my comfortable old camouflage hand me down coveralls that I took from my dad (that I've only washed twice in the past 5 years), my orange hat, grab a pack of cigs, a Mountain Dew, my bow/muzzleloader/rifle (depending on the season), and roll. I sit in my stand, take in nature, enjoy my drink and smokes, and eventually if I'm quiet and patient, deer walk out. This method led me to the two nicest bucks I've yet to kill. Killed both this season, and wasn't really "trying", I was just enjoying myself. When we get down to it, isn't that what we should be doing? The vast majority of us aren't hunting the deer farms we see on t.v., won't ever get any endorsements for using these products, and have probably only ever had marginal success with them. Instead of investing all the time, money and effort that makes hunting a job, why not just hang a stand in a good location after a little scouting, and sit quietly, enjoy nature, and if a monster walks out, calmly put down the cigarette, spit out the dip, etc., and pull the trigger?