HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - has this happened to you? arrow deflecting off deer...
Old 11-09-2011, 03:57 PM
bronko22000
Boone & Crockett

Critter, That happened to me years ago when my BH sliced the hide completely off the shoulder blade. Never really hurt the buck as I saw him out in the field a few nights early with his white scar clearly visible. But lesson learned and I will relate it to you. Don't shoot at a deer that close from an elevated position. Let it get out to at least 15 yds. which will 'flatten' out your angle allowing you to get both lungs. Too close and you stand a good chance of hitting only one lung. And a deer can travel a long way on one lung.
I had another experience which was nothing more than a fluke. I was hunting on the ground and had a 6 point come up behind me. Not sure what I was, he tried circling downwind to try and catch my scent. As he went behind some thick brush it gave me chance to draw. And when he came out the opposite side broadside I settled the 20 yd pin behind his shoulder and released. The 4 blade Muzzy I was using at the time flew true and hit exactly where I had the pin. He took off and ran over the rise. I waited 45 mins and started to track him. As I crested the rise I saw him jump up and take off. I backed out and found him the next morning. What had happend was my BH hit a rib on the way in and made a 90* turn, caught one lung on the near side, passed through the liver and came out on the opposite side just forward of the hind leg.