HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - has this happened to you? arrow deflecting off deer...
Old 11-09-2011, 09:13 AM
critterkiller88
Spike

Default has this happened to you? arrow deflecting off deer...

Sunday evening was my first time hunting public land by myself. i walked 1/2 mile into the woods, found a tree with some good sign and climbed about 10 feet up. wind in my face, going east. the deer runs im watching are all going north to south. i got settled in around 1 pm, didnt expect to see anything close as i hadnt scouted this land ever. at around 415 a decent 6 pointer is heading straight for me from the south heading north. he was taking his time, and my heart is pumping hard! i slowly stood up, got ready and he walked directly under my stand and i drew, he made it about 5 yards from my tree and i took a quartering away shot. he bucks and runs and i watched where i thought he stopped, around 40 yards to my east. i waited 30 minutes and climbed down, checked the POI and found a hole bunch of hair, but no blood. found some fluid that looked like saliva. found my arrow stuck in the ground, no blood on it.

i havent shot at a deer with my bow yet, but i shoot 3d tourneys all year long. im a good shot, i know i hit where i wanted. it seems like my arrow hit a rib or possibly the back of the shoulder blade and deflected off instead of penetrating. im shooting rage 2 broadheads, and the blades were mangled.

So my question to you all is this. Where should i have aimed? i aimed for the lungs, but at my angle i think i should have aimed higher, closer to the spine. i could have let him walk farther but i was in some thick stuff, didnt want to lose my shot, and i was very excited.