HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Tighter shot pattern
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2011, 06:46 PM
Jacol
Spike

I guess using the wrong terminology was a giveaway that I am not an avid shooter. I shoot from sitting position off sandbags which lay on 1 1/2" boards which rest across the corner railings of my back porch -pretty solid but not a concrete shooting bench.

The trigger slide is not as smooth as would be ideal, but the BAR trigger is not adjustable. I asked a local "gunsmith" about working on the trigger and he advised against.

The scope is a Leupold vx2, 3-9x50 set on 9.

I have part of a box of Federal Premium 165gr Sierra Gameking BTSP that can be tried.

I have a Rem. 7400 that I used before getting the Browning and it was so inaccurate I was afraid to use it past about 150yds, so just recently started shooting longer distances. I will be doing most shooting from the location described above as there is a field behind my house with about 365yds to edge of woods. Have shot a pig(355yds), this is what got me interested in shooting longer distances, did'nt really think I could hit him but thought I would scare him out of the field and surprise he fell in his tracks, but want to get my group a little tighter before shooting at deer.

Not sure what the 100yd group is with current setup as haven't shot that distance lately.

Thanks for your responses.

Where is the proper placement of sandbags under rifle for optimum stability?