HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Bag ‘o tricks vs NO tricks
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2011, 08:23 AM
7.62NATO
Nontypical Buck

Default Bag ‘o tricks vs NO tricks

OK, let’s get the fact that people have been killing deer for many years before we started bottling piss and inventing grunt calls, etc.

I have no doubt that people grunt and rattle and lure bucks in. I personally have never used a grunt call with any success, nor a rattle bag. I believe that a 9-pointer I killed two years ago heard me blow into a doe can and came charging over the hill. I believe that a spike I killed last year may have followed a estrous drag rag. But, I will say that every time I have ever dug into my bag ‘o tricks w/o success, I always have an overwhelming feeling that the reason I didn’t see deer was because I spooked them with whatever I was trying to do, whether it was using any variety of deer pee, a grunt call, a can call, a rattle bag…whatever. I then determine that next time I won’t use anything. But then I always end up succumbing to the temptation to use some pee or bleat the can, etc (can’t bring myself to leave them behind).

What do you think? Do you think we overload deer senses by using this stuff? Or do you think we have gained a significant advantage by using it?