HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Tighter shot pattern
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2011, 08:20 AM
Nomercy448
Nontypical Buck

The ol' bait and switch huh? I thought this was going to be a shotgun question!

2MOA at 350 frankly aint bad for a factory BAR with factory ammo, it ain't great, but I've seen worse out of them.

Like the HB said, you really didn't give much detail about how you're shooting. If you're shooting off-hand with iron sights and getting 7" groups at 350yrds, then there's maybe 100 guys on the planet that could help you improve. If you're shooting a high mag scope off a Ransom, then the potential is there, so the question becomes a quick process of elimination to figure out elements you can improve upon.

My first step, with the few details you gave, is to ask how well the rifle groups at 100yrds. How well it groups at 100yrds will tell us a lot about what the specific "problem" might be. 1) If you're getting 2" groups at 100yrds, and performing all of the proper steps to ensure accuracy, then I'd say you have a 2MOA rifle/load combo. Changing ammo would be the only suggestion I'd make at that point, or making improvements to the rifle. 2) If you're NOT performing all of the steps to ensure accuracy, and you're getting 2" groups at 100yrds, then you're a 2MOA shooter and the door is open for improvement. 3) If you're getting 3/4" groups at 100yrds, then you're obviously having issues either with bullet stability (unlikely), wind estimation, or most likely, technique.

Shooting 1/2" groups at 100yrds (1/2MOA) isn't the same animal as shooting 2" groups at 400yrds (still 1/2MOA).

I'm not saying you're NOT a skilled long range shooter, but you haven't given enough info to make a judgement either way... Give a little more detail and we can better seine out whether it's the equipment, the shooter, or a little of both.