HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - I am just sick
Thread: I am just sick
View Single Post
Old 11-07-2011, 04:48 AM
ADVWannabee
Typical Buck

I am sorry to hear you lost your deer. I won't pile on the PB blame as I have no experience with them but I do believe that some bullets do suck. I use a .30-06 in rifle season and years ago was using cheap Winchester Silvertips. After losing the best buck I have ever shot even to this day, I switched to Federal Premiums with Nosler Partitions. That buck didn't leave a drop of blood behind so I assume it didn't pass through. It was found not too far away a few days later and had almost been entirely eaten by other animals. That day I learned about bullet performance and to make more effort tracking a deer even if you don't find sign that you hit it.

As to the bullet performance, I found the Silvertips still inside the deer on several deer. When it did pass through, it would leave a nasty exit wound as the bullet apparently was disintegrating. Since I switched to Nosler Partitions, I get pass throughs every time.

So maybe there is no way to know for sure, I do know that some bullets are junk and some aren't. With all the evidence against PBs I know I will never use them.