HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Hard To Kill
Thread: Hard To Kill
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2011, 03:42 PM
SecondChance
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by doetrain
My friend Kent called me Friday at 1:00 said he arrowed a really nice 150 to 160 9 pointer.He shot it 15 yards out after taking careful aim, a near broadside shot that sent it to it's knees. He shot it at 9:30 trailed it 300 yards could not find it,thats when he called for help. We lost the blood some 400 yards away looked till near dark. It's hard to believe how hard some of these Deer are to drop and what they can take. Kent is a seasoned hunter,a patient good shot was put on this Buck right behind the shoulder with a Magnus Stinger Broadhead with 70 lb. draw weight. He waited nearly 3 minutes before firing because a doe was under him which the Buck was following. I was not there so I can only go by what he remembered in the heat of the moment,but I think he hit the shoulder high and thats why the beast could run so far. I still don't know how it could survive and run so far after a hit like that anywhere. What are your thoughts about such a hit in the shoulder bone and maybe a little high,he was about 15 feet up. We never could find the arrow,I'm sure it broke somewhere we just could not find it.Also we went as far as we could until we hit private property and had to stop the search.
I just went through something similar last week with a doe. Hit high in back, broke far shoulder, no exit. Little blood. Not recovered till 2 days later, dead in pond. I would contact the landowner of the next property and ask permission to enter and retrieve. If permission is denied, contact DNR and ask for assistance to recover said deer.