HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - No Sub For Wind
Thread: No Sub For Wind
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2011, 04:17 AM
MZS
Typical Buck

I think an interesting test would be to try all the "scent control" on your dog. (EDIT: Just noticed your post huntingkidPA!) Hide behind a tree, but still in the wind, upwind from your unsuspecting dog. Have another person bring the dog within 25 yards. Does the dog know you are there? I would guess yes, no matter what you do since they will pick up the dead skin that invariably will be shed. Now try it while in a 4ft high blind - you would probably do much better. And inside a fully enclosed doghouse type blind would be better yet. But if you were downwind, I would bet the dog would not know you were there, regardless of what you did or didn't do. It would make for an interesting experiment. I have had deer pass by nearly downwind when I was inside a 5ft high blind - and other times I have been busted. And one time I was busted while up in a very high 25-30 ft tree stand cause the deer were downwind (and they did not see me!) At any rate, it stinks to get busted since often that same deer will act as an alarm sentry for future hunts. So I hunt the wind.

Last edited by MZS; 11-06-2011 at 04:46 AM.