HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What's your favorite yote caliber?
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2011, 04:03 PM
Nomercy448
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Sheridan
"......past 600yrds with no problem.......1,000 yards..."

That's some good shootin' - with "no problem" that is !

What power scope is that you're using ?
Lol, well, I guess I shouldn't be so cavalier and say "no problem". The energy to do the job once it gets there isn't a problem, but getting it there still is.

Since you asked, some of my favored scopes that my wife and I cycle on and off our coyote rigs:

Nightforce 5.5-22x56 NXS with NP-R2
Bushnell Elite 6500 4.5-30x50mm
Nightforce 8-32x56 BR with NP-2DD
Leupold VX-3 LRT 6.5-20x50mm and 8.5-25x50mm
Ziess MC Conquest 6.5-20x50mm

I have a few 6-24x50mm scopes (bushnells, nikons, etc) that I've used in the past as well, but they (for whatever reason) typically have poor internal adjustment ranges, so we basically rely on the above list (except the Zeiss, which has poor internal adjustment as well, but my wife likes that scope A LOT, so it's sitting on an angled mount on her 6.5-284).

The Leupold VX-3 LRT's are fantastic for internal adjustment. I prefer the Nightforces for quality, but it's sure nice being able to scroll to whatever range you want with the Leup's without needing angled bases.

Beyond that, I've recently became sold on the Burris Signature Zee Rings. It's pretty sweet being able to forego an angled base simply by changing the ring inserts.

EDIT: The Nightforce BR 8-32x is a little too much scope for short range shots, so it presents it's own list of problems, and the adjustable objective isn't ideal for fast focusing on moving coyotes, but at $500+ less than the NXS, it's hard to say anything bad about the benchrest series! Usually when I take this out (mounted on a 7mm WSM Stiller), my wife picks up the shorter range shots with her Zeiss on her 6.5-284.

Last edited by Nomercy448; 11-05-2011 at 04:09 PM.