HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - No Sub For Wind
Thread: No Sub For Wind
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2011, 04:26 AM
ModernPrimitive
Typical Buck

Default how 'bout scent neutral?

I found the first tree I am fairly happy to hang a stand in this week-a pine w/ good cover, the only downside is a little less than 180 shot degrees.
Yesterday midday, freshly scent-free showered & laundered I made my way in & up. There was a strong breeze, so I entered accordingly.
Of course, the deer-a doe family of 5, entered and began to browse-DOWNWIND!
I knew it was only a matter of time, so I just watched. Clearly, deer have that sixth sense and I'd be lying if I said being w/in 10-12 yards of them didn't raise my pulse rate; I think this is what the jumpy doe of the group (isn't there always one?) sensed first, but I could see her nose working & as soon as she jumped they were all gone.
Maybe 10 min later a young one strolled by well inside 10 yards UPWIND and spent several minutes contentedly munching away before slowly wandering off.
I was nervous about the freshly laundered aspect, so before climbing into the tree I rubbed handfuls of fallen pine needles over my clothing and boots. I don't know if this helps or hurts, but I do it on occasion.
The most scent neutral I think I've ever attained has been when I've kept my clothes in a rubbermaid container outside overnight, every night.
OTOH, a hunting buddy of mine arrowed one of the biggest does I've ever seen dressed in work clothes after a day of refinishing floors!
This is why, at least to me, a successful hunt does not always end w/ a kill. Sometimes being in the right spot, at the right time and remaining undetected is a victory yielding knowledge for the next time afield.
This year I've been hanging my camos in the limbs of the backyard apple trees & I've watched deer feed right next to them w/ no hesitation at all. I can only conclude that the scent which they really key in on is the human one-we can't change that!