HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Help a first time hunter
View Single Post
Old 11-04-2011, 05:40 AM
UPHunter08
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by UncleNorby
Looking at the aerial, the land appears somewhat hilly. I have always found good deer trails associated with saddles in ridges, especially if there are ridge flats with acorns nearby. A good place as any to start.
Looks pretty flat to me (and I look at air photos all the time in forestry). From the looks of it, you have a mixture of mature woods and younger cuts (aspen?). Watch for trails on some of those edges. If that's young growth in bright green, there might be more cover there for them. As was said, however, nothing beats on-the-ground scouting. Look for a scrape line in cover (the ones on field edges are probably used at night) and you'll be golden. Can't tell much more than that from the image...not knowing where this is we can only guess at tree species, food, etc. Need info from on the ground to go further.

Also as was said, scout for other hunter sign as much as deer sign. Use the other hunters, especially the slob hunters (right next to easily accessibly main trails, and over hunted areas) as bumpers. Bucks will mostly go around those guys, so find the deers' detours and hunt those instead.