HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - No Sub For Wind
Thread: No Sub For Wind
View Single Post
Old 11-04-2011, 04:57 AM
doetrain
Nontypical Buck

Having been just 25 to 10 yards from a Doe Wendsday night for more than 15 minutes and observing her every movement and reaction during that time I must agree you will have a tough time fooling their nose. This Doe was less than a year old but schooled well by momma Doe. The wind that night was a south by south west good for my spot facing west.She came in from the south and moved east toward me down to 10 yards,her eyes picked up a blob in the brush(my chubby butt)this is what drew her toward me,I was camoed from head to toe and had cover scent doe in estrus hanging around my spot and sprayed a shot or two of doe pee to check the thermals in the thicket area where I was tucked in. She would have been an easy broadside shot with no chance to duck the arrow that close but due to her small size I lowered my bow and just watched her until she trotted off. Even though she could have died I was impressed once again with how cautious even the young ones are,she licked her nose,bobed her head and stared at my spot knowing something new was in the brush but not being sure what it was. It was a great teaching time for me as I observed this animal. Use the wind it is your best defense against that nose.