HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Help a first time hunter
View Single Post
Old 11-04-2011, 04:50 AM
chas0218
Spike

Originally Posted by UncleNorby
You need to burn some boot leather. I can't tell you what the deer are eating or where they are feeding from 10,000 feet in the air.

If you can't scout in advance, try to figure a way to avoid most other hunters. Get to an area early, and plan to walk a trail a good distance in the dark.

If the area isn't too mobbed with guys do some still hunting through mid-day. You're basically figuring the deer out on the fly. A gps may be useful to mark areas with good sign.

Looking at the aerial, the land appears somewhat hilly. I have always found good deer trails associated with saddles in ridges, especially if there are ridge flats with acorns nearby. A good place as any to start.
x2 on GPS and find 4+ spots just in case there is someone already in your spot. I would get as far off the beaten path as possible also try and put yourself on higher elevations so you can have a large area of view to enable you to see the deer and where they are moving. That is if you can't do any scouting first. I like to hunt hills about half way up or closer to the top if its a larger hill. Try finding intersections (where more than 1 trail come together) I hunt intersections more than anything.