HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - blind discussion
View Single Post
Old 11-04-2011, 12:47 AM
olfatguy
Spike

I've got a couple of old pop-up blinds (don't recall the brand) and a home made one (PVC and burlap/camo netting. I still use them, once in a while, on private land especially if I take the grandkids along. I set them up, throw some grass and brush on them and, let them set for a while. Camo pattern etc. dosn't seem to make much difference.

On the state land I hunt, you can't leave anything in the woods if you expect to get it back (14 tree stands stolen in the last 30 yrs.), so I've been building natural blinds with deadwood and brush. These blinds stay out there all year and I take some camo netting or old burlap, for extra cover if necessary, when I go to hunt from them. Every once in a while, I'll see where someone else has used them but, this hasn't been a problem.

The best seat, for me, has been a three leg swivel stool. Gets me up off the ground and swivels silently but doesn't let me get too comfortable and nod off. A thermal seat cushion and knee pads have also worked well over the years. Neither of these options causes any problem as far as bow clearance is concerned. Most of these blinds are between a 1/2 and 1 1/2 mi. from the parking area, depending on the wind, so I haven't really looked at anything larger and more comfortable because I just don't want to carry it.