HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - The devil's advocate
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2011, 07:36 AM
sabotloader
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by cayugad
The topic I want to discuss is Blackhorn 209 powder.
I will start this off by saying - I think BH-209 is the best ML substitute powder available on the market! Do I use it? on occasion while testing only. I have 22 bottles of it but still resist shooting it because of price and I got these on sale at Cabelas for $20. I do not shoot it that much because I know I will not use it for hunting

So my question is. many have had a chance to try the powder. What makes this powder any better then say Triple Seven at $21.00 a pound,
It appears to have more convience - it is easier to use and less corrosive than T7

or Pyrodex RS at $15.00 a pound, or black powder at $13.00 a pound?
Again convienence and a lot less corrosive

Is the swabbing that important to you?
For some it really is - for me it is not a factor. I do not need to run a patch while hunting - I can easily get off 3-4 shots before I feel the adverse effects of the 'crud ring'. While at the range i do patch because that keeps the bore in the same condition it will be in while hunting - semi-fouled.

Is the extra power that big of a factor?
It really is not that much more powerful grain for grain than T7 or Swiss until you get to the heavier bullets them you may gain up to 150 fps more with BH. So again for power is not a factor.

Is this powder more accurate then any other powder you have tried in the past?
For me it is very accurate is it that much more accurate than T7 - I do not see it. BUT... if I were shooting paper for money it is my feeling right now I would use BH - the granuales are much more consistent in size and weight.

Do you have to scrape carbon out of your breech plugs?
At some point, even with a 5/32" flame channel you will need to clean the channel.

[quote] Use solvent to clean the rifle?[quote]

I believe that using BH necessitates the use of a solvent of some type - for me Hoppes is not the one. I have gone to using a gun scrubber type solution.

I want to know... what makes this powder so special or not so special to you.
Just my thoughts. It is not a special powder to me because I can use T7 and get everything I need at much less expense, even when you add in the cost of using patches...

But I do like the powder.

Last edited by sabotloader; 11-03-2011 at 07:43 AM.