HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Hunting Scrapes or Last year's Intersections?
Old 11-01-2011, 05:25 PM
chas0218
Spike

Originally Posted by Vinny_HC
As you can see from the attached map (with GPS points of rubs, scrapes, etc) the trees in the middle get a lot of rubbing and scraping activity. However I am not 100% where the bucks bed. I have seen an old buck walk out from the river ridge from the north and I have seen younger bucks crossing east/west in the center woods.

I have found active, large scrapes as shown on the map, BUT when I looked at last year's buck tracks during the rut in the snow there is an intersecting spot that may be good to set up on as well. So should I be setting up where all this sign is (scrapes vs intersections) or do you think bucks only stop by this area an night based on its location?

(see attached map)
Throw a game cam on the scrap and see when he is visiting the scrap and that would tell you if its worth hunting the scrap or intersections. I hunt intersections (where multiple trails merge into one) all the time mostly because that is where i have been most successful. How far are these scraps from the main trail? Most of the time scraps are within 15 yards off the trail... I have seen rubs off the trail a little ways but most scraps I have seen are near the trails.

I would want to hunt between the pine thicket and rub line. My guess is the buck is walking out of the thicket in the morning feeding in the field but passes by his rubs first to freshen some of them up but the other spot would be on scrap 60 how far is that sign post rub from scrap 60?

Last edited by chas0218; 11-01-2011 at 05:31 PM.