HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - How do you gut your deer?
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2011, 05:11 PM
chas0218
Spike

Originally Posted by pluckit
A sharp knife will slice right through the sternum of the rib cage right up to the neck. If you have a knife with a saw blade you can use that to saw apart the hips but what I do is cut around the rectum and with string I tie off the colon. Then from inside I tie off the colon in 2 places an inch or so apart, Then separate the colon between the two tie off spots. This prevents anything from coming out during the removal of the entrails. Then cut the diaphragm from the chest wall, reach up into the neck and cut the esophagus and everything comes right out.You can work to get the colon and rectum out now, or later when you can easily split the hips apart, with no worries of contamination since you have tied them off. A hatchet is also a good tool for splitting the hips.
Father in law splits the hip but I don't he does it so it cools faster but I don't do it in the field because I don't like all the dirt and leaves getting in there when dragging it.

Originally Posted by Flying Mullet
zip from the v in the chest down around the genitals not cutting the bag, cut around butt hole or use butt out tool, reach in (poke through tissue) up the neck up to your shoulder and cut the esophaXXgus as far up as possible, flip it over with legs spread and everything comes out, done.
X2 on the butt out that thing works great! I pull it out tie it then pull it back thru after its all free.

Originally Posted by nchawkeye
I don't drag deer, quit that years ago...

Depends upon where I'm hunting, most of the time I run a 4-wheeler up to them and throw the deer on the front rack...

On game land, I carry a rachet pulley in my backpack...I find a tree to hoist the deer and debone in the field...I put the meat in garbage bags, put in backpack and come out with them...
And save yourself a tag in the process. JK haha