HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Should be dead
Thread: Should be dead
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2011, 04:37 PM
chas0218
Spike

Originally Posted by halfbakedi420
nice job to the father in law to bail you out.
its a nice buck.
i would suggest you keep em inside 30 yards so you can actually find it next time. there wont always be someone there to find it for you.
dont let buck fever help you justify a shot.
its just hunter responsibility.
long shots are possible, but dont usually turn out like this....the person goes back to work, the deer rots in the field, a total waste, and then the next weekend they go and do it all over again.
He didn't bail me out by any means he said he was bored and figured he would come down and take a look. I told him to wait until I got out of work but he was just as excited about the deer as me. He figured he could get bragging rights for finding it which he did. Knock on wood I have only lost 1 deer and that was a 20 yard shot down hill and hit high in "no man's land" and tracked it for over 1.5 miles and still didn't find it.

Originally Posted by dusters84
Nice buck! Don't worry about all the haters. As long as you feel comfortable taking a 50 yards shot go for it. A lot of people won't, but if you practice it and know exactly how far away the deer is you are just fine.
I practice 60 and 70 yard shots and have pins out to 60 yards. I ranged it twice just to make sure my rangefinder wasn't acting up, 49 yards to his butt both times.

I feel more than comfortable taking a shot like that but if I could do it all over again I would have rather had a more broadside shot. 50 yards or not I would have still taken the shot. I had all the time in the world to line the shot up and make sure I got the right pin, make sure it was level, and the peep was lined up like when I practice. I also didn't have to worry about him jumping the string my bow is silent, along with him being distracted by the donkey doe 20 yards above him.

I have to say the red nockturnal made me certain of my shot. If you don't own any buy some ASAP best investment you could make. I know it was a long shot but if I was not confident at making the shot I wouldn't have taken it.