HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Cleaning bloody wool pants
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2011, 09:18 AM
jrbsr
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Alsatian
When field dressing my bull elk I kind of had to sit in the gut pile to reach up into the chest cavity to get all the junk out. My medium weight wool pants got soaked with blood and maybe other crud from inside the elk. The dry cleaning shop is having trouble getting the wool pants blood free. I bought these pants cheap -- $20 -- as army surplus, so one solution is just throw the pants away. I've got two other pair of the same. Another solution is to wear them with the blood stains in them. This last solution is not bad, so long as the remaining blood is not going to rot, decay, perhaps damage the wool pants. Not a real large problem in the vast scheme of things.

My question. This ought to have an easy answer. What is the best way to get heavy blood stains out of wool pants? I have always heard that wool is warm while wet. That implies to me that wool can get wet -- I could soak the wool pants in water and try to work the blood free before taking them to the cleaners. I know I wouldn't want to put these wet wool pants in a clothes dryer or dry them quickly, but why not slow drying after such a blood releasing water soak?

What do you suggest as an answer to my problem?
Get a big bottle of Hydrogen Perxide.
Pour it alll over the blood stain.
And wash them like you normaly would.
The Hydrogen Perxide on the blood stain will boil up, and break down the protein in the blood.
It works even on old blood stains.

Let us know how it turns out.

jrbsr