HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Having a hard time deciding on caliber.....
Old 10-29-2011, 04:24 PM
streetglideok
Fork Horn

I still say go with a 280, of the choices listed. Nice selection of bullets, and its not the same vanilla caliber that every realtree outdoor fashion bug shoots. Its still available, and if you reload, you wont have a problem finding brass, or bullets. In reality, bullets for the 270, 280(7mm), and '06 are all capable of killing deer or elk, no matter what some hunting magazine will feed you. Its one of those things, you must use common sense on. If you only went off numbers, a bullet for the 45/70 couldnt kill a fox. Most of know that is far from true. To argue over who's SD and BC is better, well we are all splitting hairs,lol.

As for penetration and blood trails, I prefer full penetration and an exit. 2 holes is always better then one, and with the right gun, the exit hole bleeds better then the entry hole. Honestly though, I dont know first hand. My 7mm mag blows thru both sides, leaves half the blood of the deer on the backside on the ground, and a dead deer laying there, every time. Piggys are a different breed, and honestly, if you are dealing with 400lb boars, I prefer something that makes a bigger hole and penetrates, over the small caliber guns. 45/70, or 375H&H comes to mind. Hits hard, puts holes thru them, and helps take the fight out, even with a 'plate, under their hide.

I still stand by my other posts, in that going with such a light gun, if you are physically able, is just putting you thru more recoil then needed for an '06 sized gun. Get a standard hunting weight rifle, unless you are hunting goats, and not worry so much about these details. Thats time you could be spending scouting, or hunting, or shooting at the range!