HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 2 Blade Rage not deploying blades...
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2011, 06:57 AM
rookie51
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Big Bullets
Just yesterday I made a shot on a buck at 20-25 yards After the arrow struck, I saw it sticking out of the deer for most of its length. If it got more than 2 inches penetration I would be surprised. I was using mechanicals. I will have to check the brand but, they are the flip over type. I do not think they flipped completely or, maybe I hit bone.

I tracked the deer for anout 90 minutes. I found some blood but not a great deal. I tracked it to the point where, I found the arrow in perfect shape. At some point the blood trail ceased. I made a big circle around the last blood and found nothing.

My guess is that, I hit the should bone and got a non-lethal hit. The deer saw me as I was lining up and probably moved.

I have had success in the past with mechanical but am thinking of going to broadheads. Not sure how to practice without ruining expensive points.
Sounds like a shoulder shot and not broadhead failure. To answer your question about practicing and not ruining a broadhead, check out the NAP hellrazors. They are cut on contact and you get 4 in a package. Just count on one being your practice head. If you need the broadhead down the road you can always sharpen it. These were the sharpest broaheads I have seen out of the package and I have shot several different brands.