HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Setting up climbing stand evening before (will it spook deer)?
Old 10-24-2011, 10:49 AM
UPHunter08
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by 7.62NATO
Of course, the first reflective tack is marked on the opposite side of the path to lead astray other hunters.
Because nobody would think of that! Joking aside, I think most people know that trick, so take it for what it's worth. Whenever I use tacks, not only do I use the 'tack the other side trick', but I then shoot a compass bearing to the next tack (and write it down so you remember it later), and make sure it's not visible from your trail marker. That way, anyone shining their light from your 'misleading' trailside marker won't be able to find the next one leading off the main trail. It's just too easy to shine your light in a circle to find the next tack, even if you place yours on the 'wrong' side of the trail.

You simply have to follow your bearing from that marker a short way in, find the next one, and follow the trail from there.

I've found so many stand locations following reflective tacks that it's not even funny. Fortunately for them, I'm an honest guy...

Good luck with your new spot!