HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Ohio hunters!!!!! Be in your best stand today!!!!!
Old 10-22-2011, 08:51 PM
ManofTheFall
Nontypical Buck

Well, guess what happened to me Friday evening. I sat for 2 1/2 hours and nothing. It hit 7:00pm and I said it's time to get down. Then the fun began. I hear crunching to my left, crunching out in front of me. Legal shooting light is 7:07. I said to myself you better hurry and come to me. The crunching out in front of me I never seen. The crunching to my left was a different story. I watched and I finally seen the deer after about three minutes. So, it is now 7:03. I have 4 minutes left. The deer starts to come up the hill but he is angling towards me. He finally gets to a point where I can see his rack. This buck made my 144" buck look small. He kept angling towards me but was going to end up going behind me. He stops about 15 yards directly behind me. He stood there for like 15 minutes. The he trotted back the way he came for about 15 yards. I could not get down because I did not want to spook this buck from this area. We still have three more buck tags (wife, son, daughter) and I definitely do not want to blow this buck out of the area. He starts to walk off and I wait to get down until I can't hear him anymore. I finally get down like at 7:30. After I let my bow down and I climb down out of the stand I thought everything was cool. As I was unhooking my bow from the string I hear this deer blow at me. I think it was the buck but I'm not sure. It could have been another deer that was coming out of the bedding area. This stand sits just outside of probably the largest bedding area and most secluded bedding on our property. I just really hope I did not spook that buck. I am placing a no go on our 2 stands on this bedding area for about a week. I know a big mature buck will usually tolerate one time being spooked and after that if it happens again he will more than likely avoid the area for quite awhile. So probably towards the end of this coming week we will be getting back in there. If something similar to this happens again everyone knows to stay in the stand longer to try and avoid this. This is one thing I hate about evening hunts. Any of you guys ever experience things like this?