HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Wind and whitetails
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2011, 08:55 AM
doetrain
Nontypical Buck

Let me say that by no means am I a seasoned hunter compared to many on this forum and elsewhere but I will share what I have noticed here in Indiana on very windy days which I have hunted. My first windy day hunt was in October and the winds were out of the west like today.I hunted a bean field and the does piled into it a little after 6pm one evening,they seemed to be at ease in the open out of the thickets. My second windy day hunt was in early November it was right at freezing with the chill factor, the winds were gusting at 25 to 30 at 10:45 6 does come right at me moving out of a horse pasture,I had just lowered my bow to the ground and they caught me trying to get it back up. My third windy day hunt I was in the same spot same time of the morning but not quite as cold.A Buck and three does came across the same horse pasture and I shot the biggest doe at 12 yards,the Buck was a spiker so he got a pass. 50 percent of the hunts I've done on windy days I have seen deer moving and the one thing they seem to have in common is that the deer seem to be out in the open or on the edges of heavy cover. I am going out tonight back to the bean field I'll let you know what happens as well as Saturdays hunt in the high winds this weekend.

Last edited by doetrain; 10-16-2011 at 04:02 AM.