HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Wind and whitetails
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2011, 06:57 PM
MountainHunter
Typical Buck

Default Wind and whitetails

I understand that whitetails tend not to move much on windy days, especially in the mountainous forest where I hunt. My question to you is: Surely they much need to eat. How long will whitetails stay bedded down because of wind before they decide to get up and get some food? It’s supposed to get windy (15+ MPH – and yes, I know, if you’re from the plains, that’s not very windy, but here in the wooded mountains of VA it is) around 7 PM Friday evening and then slowly ramp up to about 20 MPH around midnight, then down to 8 MPH around 2AM, then back up to about 20-25 MPH on through until 4 PM, then down to about 15 MPH around 5 or 6, about an hour before sunset. Not much chance of rain in the forecast. Do you think they will move at all during the daylight hours on Saturday or just stay bedded down? Or should I just still hunt and try to find them bedded down instead of putting up my stand in a tree?

I’m really hoping to get out and hunt this weekend; next weekend may be the last weekend I can hunt this year and no guarantee it will be any better. But it’s a 2.5 hour trip one way and I don’t want to waste it.

What do you think?