HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - New string, where and what kind?
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2011, 03:25 PM
nodog
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by tealboy
My mathews Q2 bow is 7-8 years old and has the original strings/cables. I had the local mathews retailer inspect it last year and he said they were fine, don't replace (i only shoot just before and during the season, not year round). However, I've been told by several friends and the local bass pro shop that this is bad advice, the strings are way past their useful life even though they look good. Where should I purchase and what brand do you recommend. I was told the strings may cost appx $110 and another $15 to install plus another $15 to retune the bow.

I guess strings are another thing to consider as I think about buying a used mathews switchback. The strings could easily be 4-5 years old so whatever the purchase price is, I'll need to think about spending another $140 for strings, right?
Nothing wrong with your math. If that's what you've been told then 110+15+15= 140.

Just curious, do you hit what your aiming at? If you do it doesn't sound like the strings are way past their usefulness.

You also should keep this in mind, I don't think any new bow comes with good strings so you'll have to add that 140 to the price of a new bow.