HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - I got $600 for my first rifle.
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2011, 07:25 AM
Bible_Man
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bigbulls
There are a bunch of ways to go if you have plenty of money but if your budget is $700 total for rifle, mounts, and scope here is my first choice. This will offer you by far the most rifle and scope for your $$$$$$$ than pretty much anything else out there.

Howa 1500 with the Hogue stock. Incredibly solid rifle with a very well made forged flat bottom receiver, solid 100% one piece vented bolt, M16 style extractor, three position adjustable triggers, pillar bedded stock. The Howa will run you $400 - $450.

Top it with a Bushnell elite ($250), Burris Full field II ($180), Nikon buckmaster ($210), Redfield ($150), all in 3-9X40. All of these scopes will serve you well and will last a lifetime. And it 99% of all hunting situations you might encounter in you lifetime you will never need anything other than a 3-9X40 (specialized rifles excluded).

Mount the scope with game reaper mounts. These will run you $50 - $60. Some of the best mounts made IMO. and far far better than the Leupold/Redfield standard mounts.

AS far as what chambering to get only two would make my list when all things are considered. Either the .270 Winchester or the 30-06. Ammo is available absolutely any where, is going to be the least expensive to shoot on a budget, and will easily kill anything you would want to hunt on this continent.
Excellent advice. When it comes to bang for your buck, this Howa and the Weatherby Vanguard are extremely hard to beat, IMO. Bigbulls has spoken well, yet again.