HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - I got $600 for my first rifle.
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2011, 01:38 PM
westtexducks
Fork Horn

I would not worry about getting a wood stock on the rifle it generally increases the cost more than you can justify at the moment. My first deer rifle was a Marlin 336c in 30-30 it still is an awesome gun. It is light recoiled the 30-30 is very mild. It is accurate to 200yds with the leverevolution ammo and more than capable of hitting whatever I point it at to 150 with winchester 170gr bullets which you can buy pretty much at any store in america. You can get a mount and put a scope on it but it is not necessary if you live in an area where you will not be shooting much past 100 yds like in most of the forests back east. Plus it has the wood stock which gives it that classic old west look and feel. The price averages around 400 to 500 dollars so you would still have 200 dollars to drop on a scope if you like, but again it is not necessary. What I would suggest if you get the Marlin is to instead of getting a 200 dollar scope, to buy a lot of the same brand of ammo. Sight it in, then practice practice practice. Or you could then get say a 200 dollar 20 gauge or .22 for shooting rabbits or heck maybe even a 17hmr. I would not suggest hunting rabbits with anything much larger than 17hmr/22mag for rabbits anything bigger than these calibers will result in the rabbit detonating upon impact.
Well there is my .02 cents have fun picking out your rifle/rifles you can never have to many.